Thursday, November 25: Thanksgiving (aka The Day Home Depot is Not Open)

This time Wes and I start the day together. After a very rushed cup of coffee together and a quick shower, we decide to get right to work. The challenge: removing the original flooring.

 

After realizing that there was no way for us to pull the (10)layers of flooring up manually, we resort to the circular saw. We had already decided to put down a new subfloor since we knew there were some soft spots in the floor around the sink but even if the subfloor was the remain, we could just set the depth of the circular saw so not to cut anything we didn’t want to. Let ‘er rip!

There’s no going back now. We have officially removed a portion of the flooring and it became very clear that this was the method to continue with. Thank goodness I’ve got Wes around or otherwise I would still be sitting indian style on the floor with my hammer and crowbar trying to pry up each layer. I dare you to guess who’s the brains of the operation around here. Anyway, after removing the first piece, we realize that we are up against much more than we thought. The flooring was a whopping 1 1/2″+ thick!

No wonder we had to step up into the kitchen! At least now with the original flooring out of the way, we can see that when we put down the new 3/4″ subfloor and 3/4″ thick red oak flooring, everything will be nice and level. I can breathe a little easier now. With one success already, Wes continues cutting up the floor and I continue taking it outside to the trash pile…in the rain…lame. In the midst of the cutting and the trash hauling, we uncover a little set back.

A big giant hole that resides right under the cabinetry/sink location. We always thought that spot felt a little soft while we were doing the dishes. Turns out the flooring had rotted away (probably some sort of water damage) and the previous owners had just added a piece of 2×4 to help support the cabinet. No fixing the subfloor or any other structural item. Nope, just wanted to focus on the cabinetry. We would really hate for that to sink cabinet to be wobbly. Please tell me you sense my sarcasm or we can’t be friends any more. Previous owners = morons. Luckily Wes had anticipated something like this so we had already purchased the materials to repair it. House – 0, Us – 1. Score!

Company Arrives: Some how we rope Wes’s Dad (Mike) into helping us with the project on Thanksgiving. All we had to do was buy him lunch. We definitely owe him big time. In addition to that, Wes’s Mom’s husband (Wade) shows up with all his plumbing tools in tow (he’s a plumber…yes, we love him). Mike and I move forward with prying up the original subfloor while Wes & Wade get a game plan in place for the new plumbing.

You see, our plumbing for the washer looked like this.

Ohmygosh, that picture is embarrassing. The plumbing was in front of the wall. Yep, just what you want your visitors to see as you entertain them in the kitchen. Luckily with our trusty plumber sidekick, we can move the plumbing into the wall and while we are at it, add a waterline for a future refrigerator ice maker (You’re welcome, Dad!). But as I mentioned earlier, Thanksgiving is one of the two days that all home improvement stores are closed. Trust me…we checked…3 of them.  Plumbing must wait until Friday. *Sigh*

 Back to the floor! Mike & I (with the help of Wes too) get the entire subfloor removed. And yes, I was a big part of that. I have the sore muscles, scraped knuckles, and bruises to prove it. I’m awesome. After completely freaking out the dogs with the no-floor-in-the-kitchen thing, we decide to get the new subfloor down before bed. You know, so the pups don’t drop straight into the crawl space when they want to get a drink of water. Mike & Wes handle the subfloor like pros. We chose a 3/4″ tongue and groove subfloor to give us the right height for our new hardwoods. After a little research, we determine that the best way to install a subfloor is to use a subfloor construction adhesive to glue the floor to the joists of your house as well as screw it. The adhesive keeps the floor from squeaking. We used Liquid Nails Subfloor Adhesive in case you are curious. So we glue, lay, and then chalk line. Yes,  we had an excuse to buy a chalk line. Super fun! We used the chalk line to mark where the joists were running so that the subfloor actually get screws to something instead of thin air.

 We install the floor running from the cased opening to the back door and leave the rest for Friday. We figure leaving access to the crawl space will be helpful with the plumbing install/modification. It will at least keep any one from having to actually crawl in the crawl space. Um…gross.

Oh, and one last thing before bed. We did experience one casualty from the day’s events.

My beloved schoolhouse globe met its match. It didn’t put up much of a fight against the 4×8 piece of subfloor. It’s alright though, I think it was actually a blessing in disguise. More on that later!

Advertisements